16 September 2008
trip treats
It's a good thing I'll have some free space in my suitcase after delivering the flags and other items, because I'll need it to stock up on purée de marrons and "trip treats" for my students. This is a custom I created my first year at CSAS; if a student has to miss school to go somewhere fun, it is recommended that they bring me a little treat. Bribery, if you will. I've received key chains, coffee mugs, post cards, rocks and sand. But the rule works both ways. When I went to Montreal to present my Master's thesis research at AERA, I bought them maple sugar sandwich cookies (how silly did I feel when later, Jonathan found the same cookies at Dollar Tree?!). From Costa Rica, they got coffee candy. When I went to Amiens in 2006, I brought them fruit candies. This time I'm thinking Carambars - the French equivalent of Laffy Taffy. It's got to be something small and inexpensive enough for me to bring back about 130 items. This seems to be the only way I can appease the natives, who are a bit upset that I'm leaving them again so soon. Ce n'est qu'une semaine, mes petits loups, only a week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment