06 July 2009

a city girl in the country


In my purse, I carry a little notebook so I can jot down ideas while I'm away from my computer. Looking through it today, I'm not very inspired to write about Kathy's students at the ICP, about the telephone pole disguised as a pine tree, or my brief séjour in Amsterdam. Perhaps it's because I'm writing from a huge garden, taking full advantage of the house I'm taking care of this month.

Since I've been here, I've picked raspberries, and then made a raspberry-lemon tart for the teachers' end-of-the-year party in Poix. I've braved the ladder (albeit briefly) to pick cherries. I've put in the tuteurs à tomates at Jérôme's request. Fresh spinach and lettuce have been made into several delicious salads. I picked rhubarb, and then made a delicious compôte, adding ginger and an apple (this is a yummy breakfast, mixed with a bit of muesli and plain yogurt).

When I was on my Van Gogh-themed trip, I read that Vincent once said, Je vois du sain et du fortifiant dans la campagne (He found the countryside healthy and invigorating). I must say, it's certainly doing me a bit of good, especially after an extremely hectic school year. Here, I can work at a snail's pace if I want, just like this guy.

1 comment:

goppel said...

Seems like something out of a perfect work of fiction. No doubt the inspiration for wanting to stay there! P.S. loved the pic of you and Allison and Kristin. I saw Wicked Wednesday in Tulsa but no KC!