22 June 2009

à la recherche du temps perdu

As soon as Emmanuelle and I descended the hill that leads into Poix, I nearly started crying. I went back to spend two days at the collège, to see my colleagues, friends and former students. As I was getting out of the car, Suzanne was on her way to work. “C'est pas vrai !” she exclaimed. “Mais si, c'est vrai ! You didn't know I was coming?” The surprised smile on her face was an indication of how the visit was going to be. Bisous, comment vas-tu ? and we-miss-you throughout the day. After lunch in la cantine, and yes, un verre de vin rouge, I joined the kids on the playground. “Miss, vous êtes revenue!”

Which reminds me of the word for ghost - un revenant, which literally means “one who has come back.” That's sort of how being back in Poix felt – a bit eerie, like I was a ghost. Everything's the same, but not. The kids are the same, but different. New teachers welcomed me, and old friends made me feel like I'd never left. Especially since the vice principal asked if I would work on Friday!

1 comment:

goppel said...

feel like you were back home?