When I was a student in Clermont I could see the Puy de Dôme, but never had the opportunity to climb to the top and see the view. According to one site, "Visiting Clermont without going to the top of the Puy de Dôme (1464m) would be like visiting Athens without seeing the Acropolis." So, 18 years later, I decided I needed to make up for lost time.
The Puy de Dôme is a lava dome in the Chaîne des Puys in the Massif Central. In pre-Christian Europe, Puy de Dôme served as an assembly place for spiritual ceremonies. Temples were built at the summit, including a Gallo-Roman temple dedicated to the God Mercury, the ruins of which were discovered in 1873. Or so I'm told.
You see, I never made it to the top of the volcano. Just as I was beginning my hike, and I mean within the first few steps, I got hurt. There were some wooden posts outlining the trail, and as I was talking, I slammed my shin right into one. I didn't want to appear wimpy, so since I wasn't bleeding, I kept walking. That was a mistake. I made it about half-way up, and had gave in to the pain. At the bottom, I begged to use the restroom at one of two restaurants, and got some cold water. Later, one of the CAVILAM employees got me some ice. (Two cubes, just like in your soda!). I propped my foot on a neighbor's arm rest, and braved the nearly two-hour ride back to Vichy. Back at home, the neighbor, who's a massage therapist and martial arts expert, gave me some homeopathic treatment, I elevated it and packed on the ice. Nearly a week later, another friend of my host family didn't like the way my foot looked, and strongly suggested I see a doctor. That experience deserves its own entry...
No comments:
Post a Comment