After encouragement from my host family & their friend, I finally decided I should see a doctor about my leg. In a way, I was proud of never having gone to a doctor during all my time in France, but confess I was also curious to have that experience to share with my students. Because I'm here on scholarship, I have insurance for the duration of my studies, so I went to the reception desk at the language school to ask how to go about making an appointment, and to see if there was a preferred doctor. At first they said that it was the host family's responsibility to make an appointment for me at their personal doctor. I said if they could give me a name & number, I'd make my own appointment. In the end, they did it for me, and provided a map so I could find the cabinet.
My appointment was at 7pm. As in the evening. People don't have to take off work to see the doctor here. How convenient! The building probably dates back to the 18th Century, and was most likely a hôtel particulier, which means it was once an individual residence, now divided up into apartments upstairs and offices down. There was a big entry door, which I had to be buzzed through. I found the right doctor's office, and had to be buzzed in again. The office had high ceilings and old décor, and no air conditioning. Have I mentioned that we're having a severe heat wave in France this summer!?
When I got inside, there was no nurse or secretary at the desk. Just a sign to go directly to the waiting room in absence of a secretary. I waited in the waiting room, and every 10-15 minutes, the doctor came to get the next patient. It was first come, first serve. When it was finally my turn, the doctor showed me into his office. I sat in front of the antique desk, and he came in and sat behind. I didn't know how to proceed, so I just started talking. I explained that I was a student at the CAVILAM, and how the injury happened, and how it still really hurt and on and on. He looked intently at me, and when I was finished, he asked me where I was from. He then went on and on at how impressed he was with my French. He seemed more interested in my language skills than my injury. Finally, he looked at my leg, determined that nothing was broken, and in English, told me to "wait and see." I paid him 22€, and he gave me a form to take back to the school so I can be partially reimbursed. Then, off to the pharmacy. Except that since my appointment was in the evening, the pharmacies were already closed - even the one that stays open "late" (until 8pm). There was a note on the door said to call 15 and ask for the on-call pharmacy. Once you find it, you have to call so they'll open the door. My two prescriptions totaled 13€59. Office visit and meds for less than my regular co-pay at home. And that's before I get reimbursed by the student insurance! (I had to slip in a bit of political commentary...)
I'm not sure my bobo will have disappeared entirely before I gingerly set foot on American soil in a couple of weeks. Still, I'm not going to let it keep me from other adventures.
3 comments:
I turned in my paperwork at the school, and was pleasantly surprised to be 100% reimbursed for all of my expenses, including the 6€ after-hours charge from the pharmacy.
I have had only wonderful experiences with the French health system, including the SOS Medecin on a Sunday morning when Meredith, age 3, woke with hives all over her body and one eye swollen shut! The doctor came within 20 minutes, satchel in hand, provided presciptions and an address of a pharmacy in the neighborhood open on Sundays. She didn't have insurance, but the whole thing cost 60 euro, 50 of which was the house call. On a Sunday morning.
Are you all healed up now?
Post a Comment