Have I ever told you how much I love Braum's - not just for ice cream, but for their produce section? I was able to get just enough milk, cheese, eggs and fruit to last me through the weekend, and I didn't have to wander all over a large grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I love my Buy For Less, but sometimes I want to run in and out. Besides, you can't get a lime sherbet freeze at BFL. Alas, I was not able to enjoy one last night either. Seems like this is going to be another lime-sherbet-free summer. Last year, my mom and I went to something like 4 Braum's in 2 days in our quest for the cool green treat. A lime sherbet shortage? Not exactly. Jesse at my local store has informed me that lime is considered a "seasonal flavor," and this just isn't the season. Honestly? Summer = Lime Sherbet Freezes for my mom & me. I suggested that Jesse share my concern with the HQ in Tuttle, but he didn't seem to think it would convince them to release lime in July. Drats.
So after my produce purchases last night, I wandered over to the ice cream counter in the hopes that lime was hiding in there somewhere. Alas, no. However, I did discover two recently released sherbet flavors: lemon and sicilian orange. Unable to decide which to try, I opted for one scoop of each. Hey, I'm facing a year without Braum's, so I think I'm entitled. I never realized how important Braum's is in the lives of Oklahomans until my friends moved away after college. Matt and Amy soon learned where the first one was on I-40 coming from North Carolina, and Michelle found the northern-most one in Salina, Kansas on her trips home from South Dakota. It's not like I go every week, but it's something I will miss this year. By the way, both the lemon & sicilian orange were delicious, and I'm already wondering which would make a better freeze. But don't worry Lime, you'll always be my favorite.
Today, I finally had my omelet, or in French, omelette. It's important to note that omelets are typically eaten for dinner in France, not breakfast. And if you want one with cheese, you must specify this: avec du fromage. I learned this the hard way in Senegal (a former French colony), when my friend Samantha and I each ordered an omelette nature, and they sure were nature, which means plain. An omelet without cheese? Isn't that just fancy scrambled eggs? My lunch today had parsley, red onion, chives and asiago cheese. Probably the best tasting one I've ever made, but also probably the least attractive. Maybe I can find a cooking class in France?
5 comments:
P.S. For those of you now craving lime sherbet, buying some at the grocery store and trying to make your own freeze with 7-up doesn't work...
j-rob you crack me up...you're the best!
amicalement,
jessica
When Theresa heard about the lime sherbet shortage, she suggested making some concoction with the ingredients for a margharita and ice cream. I said you would rather have the margharita!
We'll have a good old-fashioned American dinner for you and Nathalie, including hamburger, baked beans, and Lays potato chips, strawberry cake. Maybe your brother will use his new skills at making home-made icecream! And if you are nice, he might bring some of his home brewed beer!
I'm famous! I had "une omelette nature" !!!
This just in: my last night in OKC, my love affair with lemon sherbet ended, as I decided I like the Sicilian Orange better. AND, on the way out, we looked in the ice cream cases, and guess what was there? At least 8 1/2 gallons of ... you guessed it... LIME!
Post a Comment