07 June 2009

returning to my second home

Just after my quick return to Picardie last September (I know, I know, I never wrote about that...), I cashed in my frequent flyer miles and reserved a ticket for the summer. And summer's finally here! I leave in 3 days, and I am so excited and anxious to see my friends and the region I've come to love.

Contrary to my personality, I have very few fixed plans. I know where I'm staying for the first couple of weeks, as well as at the end of my trip, but in between, things are pretty up in the air. And for once, I don't mind. This may come as a shock to those who've traveled with me before (M.K., for example) who know that when we don't know where we're sleeping, I can get pretty panicky. Friends who are frustrated by my struggles to be spontaneous should be proud!

People keep asking what I'm going to do in France, if I have a "goal" for this trip. It's different than trips in the past - this time, I'm just going "to be." It's like going home to see your friends and family, and just hanging out and relaxing. Sure, there are places I'd like to see that I never got around to while I was living there, but my ultimate goal is to de-stress and decompress from this difficult year.

2 comments:

Jeff H said...

Jealous! Have a great time!!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you are "home."