10 January 2008

la galette des rois

As the twelve days of Christmas progress, the three wise men in nativity scenes across France (and many other countries) move closer and closer to la crèche, finally arriving on January 6th. In France, to celebrate Epiphany, families and friends share la galette des rois.

On Michael's last day in France, which happened to be on the 6th, we shared a king's cake with Kathy and Damien before heading to the
airport. Kathy found the porcelain fève in the form of Merlin and proudly donned the Shrek crown that came with the cake.

At the school, the Amicale, or teachers' social club, shared galettes and cidre this evening. Because there were so many guests, we had three cakes, and therefore three winners. I found the first fève - Donald Duck. Each bakery has a theme for the little treats hidden in the cakes. The other winners found Pluto and Minnie Mouse. Traditionally, the youngest person chooses who gets what piece, and I can't help but wonder if
Jules, the son of one of my colleagues, rigged it so I would win.

No comments: