23 March 2008

at least rabbits have eyes

First, my kids here think Easter is on Monday, since they're out of school for lundi de Pâques. Second, the Easter bunny doesn't exist. Once again, I'm reminded of David Sedaris and his hilarious piece in "Me Talk Pretty One Day," where he tries to explain Easter in French class. If he had read this story when I saw him in concert, I would have been elated. If you read "Jesus Shaves," you will learn that the church bells, not the Easter bunny, deliver the chocolate in France. The bells in the churches stop ringing on Good Friday, fly to Rome to see the Pope, pick up chocolate bells, eggs, chicken and fish, and return to their steeples for Easter morning. Upon hearing the bells, the children know there is chocolate to be found in the yard.

I spent Easter weekend at Kathy & Damien's new place in St-Ouen. We were invited to his aunt and uncle's in Verrières-le-Buisson for Easter dinner. When we arrived and poured out of Sylvain's car, his nephew had just begun his hunt. Half-way through, he had to switch baskets because his first one was entirely too small to hold what the bells had delivered.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just as in Oklahoma, it looks like in France the first thing to go are the bunny's ears!
Mary

Jennifer said...

Yep! The ears are the best part!