08 March 2008

maybe I'll be a vegetarian now

While at the commissary at Bitburg, I bought the ingredients for my famous White Chicken Chili, and thought that I'd finally get around to making it this weekend. After a quick stop at the post office and the bank (where I was once again treated like royalty), I wheeled my orange caddy over to Champion for tortilla chips, cheese and chicken. Except I couldn't find a package of pre-cut chicken breasts. I decided to just buy the whole chicken. Obviously, I wasn't thinking clearly.

I wasn't raised on a farm. I don't like to think about where my food comes from, and I certainly have never cut a chicken up before. In high school biology class, I never once dissected anything more than a flower. In college, I purposefully took botany to get my life science credits. We looked at plant cells. I never once saw a frog or a fetal pig. Thank goodness.

After I donned my apron and prepared to make the chili, I was quickly reminded that in France, poultry often come with a few feathers still on. And there was just so much skin. Ew, I know. I did my best to clean and cut the chicken, but it ended up not being very pretty. I ended up just sticking it all in the pot, telling myself it will be easier to deal with once it's cooked. Let's certainly hope so, anyway. Maybe I should just stick with Joe's Special. Or better yet, become a vegetarian.

6 comments:

Mikie said...

I completely understand. Steven does all the meat/fish/poultry prep in this house. Of course, that's only when I'm eating those things, which isn't all the time.

Unknown said...

Did you know I used to make Joe's Special? One of Culbreath's shared recipes.
I always cook a whole hen before using the meat in other dishes. You only need to cut it up if frying! Sorry, I left that part out of your cooking lessons.
Mom

Jennifer said...

Where did you think I got the recipe? I haven't really made it. It's a joke. I think the French would think so too.

IB said...

So on Friday, I had to unpack a dead badger from a box, which I thought was revolting. But on Saturday, I prepared a turkey - which involved me going up to my forearm in its former ass to yank out the neck and giblets and stuff. It's funny how we think about the animals we eat.

Yes, Jen, I know this is my first comment on your blog. But it's about something I get.

Jennifer said...

Irv, I'm not sure if I should even ask...but wth were you doing with a dead badger in a box?

I'm honored you finally left a comment.

My chili was delicious, by the way.

Unknown said...

Well, I checked the link to Joes' and thought you had gotten it there. Slightly different.
A dead badger???