02 July 2008

the beginning of the end


The school year is winding down. Trickling to an end, really. Because grades were turned in a few weeks ago, there's nothing to motivate the students to attend classes up to the last day. The troisième took their end-of-collège test called le Brévet on the 26th and 27th, and then had an end-of-year trip to Parc Astérix on the 30th (to which they were kind enough to invite me so I'd have "un bon souvenir" with them).

The last week of school was rather strange. Monday I was riding roller coasters (okay, so only one, but still, it's a step...) and making choux au gruyère until midnight. Tuesday we had less than half our students, and then in the evening was the retirement and going away party at school (for which I'd helped Patricia and Rachel make the cheese puffs and tapenade). There was a more formal event where we invited community members and ate fancy hors d'oeuvre and drank champagne and cidre fait maison (yes, we drank alcohol in the school building). There were presents (I got a photo montage and a FNAC gift card), speeches and a song to "Les Champs Elysées" but called "À Poix d'Picardie" with a verse dedicated to each person leaving (my verse was about my sense of humor and the brownies I made them). And then afterwards, we had a barbecue with more food and one special song in picard sung by Marie-Claire, one of our surveillantes. I don't understand all of it, but she sure surprised everyone!

No comments: