04 July 2008

le 4 juillet

My national holiday came and went without any fireworks.  It was a busy day, though.  First day of summer vacation, and I had invitations for both lunch and dinner.  

I met my friends in International Relations at the Rectorat to wish farewell to Véronique, who is moving on to a different job, 
and also farewell to me.  They gave me a book about Picardie that everyone signed.  I am so fortunate to have such good friends in Chantal, Philip, Véronique, Elise and Anne-Marie.  We didn't see each other as often as I thought we would this year, but I know I can count on them anytime.  We ate at L'épicerie italienne - a nice restaurant I wish I'd found earlier in the year!

After lunch and before dinner, I drove home for a nap.  I know it's a huge waste of gas to drive
 an extra 60km, but I was just worn out!  In the evening, I met l'Association France-Etats-Unis for dinner at Le bistro du boucher, where they gave me a nice scarf and where Jean-Louis made a flattering speech about me.  Again, I'm so lucky to know all of these people who warmly welcomed me into their group this year.  And I just have to include a picture of what I chose as an entrée: longe de l'os moelle, or bone marrow.  Remember, it's not disgusting kids, "it's different."

So there were no fireworks, no hot dogs or home made ice cream, but it was a memorable Fourth all the same.

No comments: