Yesterday afternoon, I went to see "Sicko" with Maryse. If I had seen it at home, I would have been angered. But seeing it in France not only infuriates me, it embarrasses me. I am so ashamed of my own country. In the land of opportunity, how can we let sick people die because treatment is deemed unnecessary or experimental or too expensive? Sure, the French system isn't perfect; every French person will tell you that. They even complain that Moore portrays the French system as ideal. And maybe from the point of view of those of us who have to battle insurance companies to get our medications or treatments approved, it is. But if the French get sick or injured, they don't hesitate to seek treatment. How many of us - even those of us fortunate enough to have insurance - delay treatment because we are afraid of what it's going to cost? I know I have.
Today, I mentioned in the teacher work room that I'd seen the movie. Conversation carried on into lunch. Mélanie, a math teacher, seemed relieved when I said I was ashamed. She said that didn't want to say anything to offend me, but once she realized how I felt, she had a lot of questions. When I tell them about my $34 a month co-pay for only 8 migraine pills - and if I didn't have insurance, that it would be well over $150, they're shocked. And that's nothing compared to what other people have to pay. I'm lucky I only have headaches!
Here in France, they have a little green card they take to the doctor and the pharmacy, run it through the machine, and voilà. They never exchange money. It's covered. One teacher suggested that perhaps American society is more violent because people don't get the medical treatment they need, and since handguns seem so readily available, they act out. I think that if I didn't have my magic migraine pills, I might eventually go insane from the pain, so perhaps Virginie is right.
So if you haven't seen Michael Moore's latest film, I suggest you go regardless of your political leanings. Watch it as an American, and then think about how it makes us look in the eyes of others. It's shameful. And it's enough to make me consider staying here indefinitely... (don't panic yet, Mom).
No comments:
Post a Comment