01 September 2007

hubris à la crème

Because of my recent culinary successes, I've become over-confident in my abilities. Last week at dinner, Patricia explained - as she prepared three vegetable dishes - that people in Picardy don't eat enough veggies. She said when she first started working at the school ten years ago, the menu had some form of potato every day, but no vegetables. Being from the south of France where veggies are a staple, she considered this a crime. Eventually, she convinced the school to serve more vegetables and less potatoes.

As we visited about the eating habits of les Picards, I watched Patricia cook. I just knew that I could replicate the delicious carottes à la crème she prepared, and made an attempt this afternoon. I had all of the right ingredients: carrots, shallots, garlic, bullion, salt, pepper and crème fraîche. I even have the exact pressure cooker she used. I peeled the carrots, found a food processor in the cabinet, and began slicing them into nice, thin, round coins. Or so I thought. It wasn't until after I nearly pulverized the carrots into baby food that I realized the other blades were stored in the base of the robot. Not to be discouraged, I cooked the carrots anyway. I have declared them a near-success, because they tasted almost exactly like Patricia's, just in a different - uh - consistency. And to think, I never liked cooked carrots until now...

No comments: