31 August 2007

pure exhaustion

The outing with the students from the école ouverte was quite a success. 102 students, 8 adults, and 2 buses. I had my own little group of 6th grade girls for an hour at the seaside, and they were excited when they learned that I will be teaching English at the school. "Madame, how do you say this in American?" was the question of the day.

Although I consider myself competent in French, it still is work to speak for extended periods of time. And listening is just as difficult, because if I let my mind wander for just a second I could lose track of the conversation and never recover until a new topic appears. Nearly twelve hours of pure French today, plus I had to corral wandering kids, climb the cliffs at Bois de Cise, keep them from getting too close to the edge... then at Marcanterra, learn how to put the saddle on my horse (and how to get on a horse!) and put on a brave face to reassure nervous kids, even though I was petrified myself. Both my brain and my body are drained of all energy. At the end, I simply ran out of words.

No comments: