14 May 2008

faire le pont

The month of May is full of ponts, or bridges. There are quite a few jours feriés, many of which are related to the Catholic church, scattered throughout the month of May. The 1st is la fête du travail, or labor day. This year, we were cheated out of a day off, because jeudi de l'Ascension fell on the same day. Oh well, I really shouldn't complain, right? And because Thursday was a day off, many people decided to faire le pont by not working the next day, therefore crossing over Friday on a bridge. We did have school, by the way.

The longest bridge came last weekend when we had Thursday, May 8th off for Armistice day and Monday, May 12th for lundi de Pentecôte. I was on my way back from Italy on Friday, but upon my return I learned that there weren't very many students at school. By missing one day of school, the students had a five or six-day weekend, because many students don't have school on Wednesday afternoon (or at all on Wednesdays for that matter). Not bad.

No comments: