30 May 2008
la maternelle
One evening over dinner at Pierre and Catherine's, while talking about what else? school, they suggested I pick an afternoon to spend at the école maternelle in Catherine's classroom. We picked a date, and then last Friday as I sat comme une moule in the salle des profs, trying to find the energy to walk home (I'd finished teaching three hours earlier), I looked at Pierre and said, "oh merde! J'ai complètement zappé le rendez-vous." My excuses to your lovely wife, but I'm just not up for it today.
Fast forward a week later, and I made sure to remember my appointment. Pierre walked me over to the school, which has about 110 students from age 3-6. Catherine gave me a tour of the very open, bright building, and I was happy to spot the smiling face of Lou, the daughter of one of my colleagues. The students worked on mathematical activities and painted pictures of their mamans, and then we went outside for la récré, where I was presented with all sorts of flowers from the lawn (and bushes, which I suspect isn't allowed). The grande finale of the day was a musical lesson with all sorts of instruments. They were explained, tested out, and then they made a whole lot of wonderful noise. The parents came inside to pick them up, and on their way out, each student gave Catherine and Anne, her teacher's assistant, un bisous. A few even came over to me to give me a kiss goodbye.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Aren't they precious?!?
Post a Comment