06 June 2008

cookies and twisters

As a cumulative activity for our unit on natural disasters in 3ème, I decided to do something I haven't done all year: show a movie. There are so many from which to choose, but I went with "Twister," mainly because it was filmed at home and would give the students a glimpse - albeit a bit cliché - into what Oklahoma can be like. Flat. Oil wells. File footage of Gary England, Rick Mitchell and Mike Morgan. Overdone fake southern accents. We Oklahomans know it's not exactly an accurate depiction of us, but it's the best I could do. To keep it an educational activity, the students have to make two lists: one of things that get sucked up into the tornadoes (which we'll later rank from lightest to heaviest) and one of places where people take shelter during the storm.

The first day I showed it, we only got to the first tornado, but the students were scotché (Scotch-taped) to the screen. Never once did they complain about it being in English. They were so good that I decided to keep my promise from last fall and make them some home made American cookies. I was pretty sure that the chocolate chip cookies would be a hit, but was wary about the oatmeal raisin. They were so excited today, and many have asked for the recipes (which will be in English, of course). The only thing I'm worried about is now that word is out, the other classes will demand cookies and a movie as well! I don't really mind, except that with my petit four de célibataire, I can only bake about 7 cookies at a time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jennifer I have enjoyed your blog immensely.
I have a short DVD "Oklahoma Rising", and a VCR of Oklahoma produced by the State Dept of Tourism.

I can send these to you to share with your students. you may leave them with your school in Poix de Picardie, if you wish.

Vick COlbert

Jennifer said...

Hi Vick, glad you like the blog. Your comment reminded me that I've got the DVD around here somewhere. I'm afraid the VHS tape won't play in French VCRs. Thanks for the offer, though!

Mikie said...

I love the term "scotche"! (I don't know how to do the accent. :-) )

Jennifer said...

They also use the term "collé" which means glued. "La colle" is also used when you give a student detention. I didn't know this at first, and at the beginning of the school year, a kid asked me "Vous collez souvent?" which literally translates as do you glue often, and I was so confused. Why does that matter? Turns out he meant if I frequently assigned detention. Glad I have new vocab to use next year at CSAS, even if I don't "glue" often there.