28 June 2008

recipe for pbj

After our long day looking for elusive belfries, visiting Valloires and checking another belfry off our list, Michael and I headed home for a late dinner of tarte à l'oignon (my first, and a success). Afterwards, we stayed up until midnight making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my students. We made 30 sandwiches, and Michael cut them into fourths (triangles, of course) and stacked them in a big metal can.

The sandwiches were a big hit with the kids - Ayméric said, "Madame, c'est trop bon! Pourriez-vous nous donner la recette ?" I giggled at that, and then explained all he needed to do was open the jar! Of course, not just any peanut butter will do, I told them. I was wary of the off-brand we have in Poix, turned down a can (the kind that takes a can opener) at Auchan in Mers-les-Bains, and finally found some Skippy at Intermarché in Eu.

Later that evening at the Rhythmic Gymnastics performance, Monsieur L. told me in the fake American accent he always adopts when speaking French to me that "It seems to me that peanut butter is delicious, and even though it costs a fortune, we have to buy some now." His three kids had apparently gone home and raved about le goûter américain I had prepared.

I've done a lot to etch my memory in these kids' brains: taught them about the USA, tornadoes, cookies and peanut butter. Hopefully each time they hear about a tornado in Oklahoma (not that I hope we have tornadoes...) or watch a movie where someone is eating peanut butter (apparently this happens a lot and we just don't notice, but the kids here sure have), they'll remember the too nice and slightly crazy American teacher who spent a year with them once upon a time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yum! Is that one of the "notebooks" on the student's desk? And the pencil cases!! Some don't look like they are enjoying the pbj as much as others. With all of that great fruit jam they make, I just don't understand why they didn't know.