29 June 2008

yes, I really am American

When Michael asked me what else I was collecting this year, I had a long list. Besides UNESCO sites, belfries and mills, I added cathedrals, carriage rides, dinners with friends, and amazing memories to the list. And as an amendment, compliments.

At the Moulin in Eaucourt, we ran into a French couple in their camper. As we were getting out of the car, the man asked me which road we took to get there and then, which "corner" we were from. When I told him we were American, he didn't believe me. "With the French you speak, you're American?!" I thanked him and said it was kind of him, and he and his wife said, "It's not kind, it's the truth!" I had a similar experience the day before at the tourist office in Le Tréport. To keep track of visitors, they always ask which department you're from. When I explained where we were from, the woman said, "Mais vous parlez bien, Madame, sans accent!" This isn't always the case, like when I went to see about a key to my gate. "I detect an accent, Madame... are you... English?" If I still have an accent, at least it's not clear where I'm from.

One day not too long ago, while a few sixièmes were hanging out with me during their afternoon recess, Charles told me that my accent had really changed since the beginning of the year. What this really means is that not only have I erased traces of my American accent, I've picked up their accent picard. I couldn't ask for a nicer compliment.

No comments: