13 August 2007

meeting the principal

While I was out doing a test-walk to the train station this morning, Monsieur Patrick Féret, the outgoing principal of the Collège des Fontaines, called and left a message suggesting we meet this evening so he could introduce me to the new principal, Madame Patin. Bear in mind I've never even met M. Féret, but had heard such great things about him from Nathalie that I wasn't too nervous. I returned his call and gladly accepted his invitation.

While walking to the school this evening, I had a bit of an out-of-body experience. I was suddenly very surprised at myself. I flashed back to the first time I lived in France, which is now more than fifteen years ago. I was so shy and nervous to speak French that I never went anywhere without my sidekick Sarah. And even then, I rarely spoke for the first month or so, trying to form the perfect sentence in my head before opening my mouth. When I finally had it worked out what I was going to say, the moment had passed me by. Today it really hit me how far I've come, confidently walking down the street of my new village towards my new place of employment to meet new people. I was nervous enough meeting my new administrators each time I began a new teaching assignment in Oklahoma, and now look at me... hardly nervous, and doing it all in another language. I hardly recognized myself.

M. Féret and Mme Patin were waiting for me outside of the principal's house. Yes, that's right, in France, the principals are provided housing on the grounds of the school. It was Mme Patin's first tour of the school, so we got to discover it together. It's nice...much smaller than what I'm used to, which should make my transition a little easier. Less opportunity for me to get lost! During the tour, M. Féret kindly asked me if I was disponible this evening. (Yeah, like my social calendar is so booked at the moment. Including the two of them, I now know a total of 3 people in town! All of my friends in Amiens are currently on vacation until next week). He and Mme Patin invited me to dinner in Amiens (only a 30-minute drive), and then to the son et lumière show at the Cathedral. Mais oui, but of course I'm available!

We met up with their respective spouses and headed for a seafood dinner in the Quartier St. Leu in Amiens. It's a part of town that was once fairly abandoned, but is now quite the hot spot for young and old alike. I guess you could say it's the Bricktown of Amiens! While the rest of the group dined on moules-frites, I had the panier du pêcheur, which was a steamed basket of 3 kinds of fish on a bed of fresh green beans. Les Féret et Les Patin were all very nice and I honestly couldn't believe that I, a new teacher in the school, was having dinner with the principal who is, in part, responsible for my being here, as well as his replacement. That just doesn't seem like something that would happen in the States. Maybe it's not something that often happens here either. Maybe it's special since I'm on an exchange... but I'm glad they invited me.

At dinner, they were very curious about how one becomes a teacher in the U.S. When I explained that each state has its own set of exams, they were shocked. "What does one do if you move to another state?" Take more exams, I responded. How crazy! I went on to explain that being certified doesn't mean you'll find a job. In fact, it can be very difficult and I really felt like I had to sell myself as a good candidate when I applied for my past two teaching assignments. They were amazed. It just doesn't work that way in France.

Here, to become a teacher is very competitive. One must pass un concours, and only so many candidates are allowed to pass each year. However, once you pass, you're guaranteed a job. The same thing goes for becoming an administrator. I learned this earlier in the year when Damien decided to try to become a principal. Once he was informed that he'd passed the written concours, he had to pass an oral exam. After receiving those results, he then had to wait for his appointment. He was allowed to specify which academic regions he preferred (l'Académie de Versailles where he's been teaching English, or l'Académie de Paris). Finally in the middle of the summer - which is actually a bit early - he found out his assignment, at a middle school in Paris. M. le Principal is excited about his new job, but will have to adjust to dressing up a bit.

After dinner, we walked to the Cathédrale d'Amiens for the special son et lumière presentation. That deserves an entry of its own...

No comments: