05 August 2007

Nathalie in OKC

If the exchange didn't seem real when we met in Washington, D.C. earlier this week, it certainly is now! I picked up Nathalie at the airport on Friday night and on the way home, took her on a short driving tour of Oklahoma City at dusk. We went to Classen first, and I think the enormity of it made an impression on her. I think it's safe to admit that some of the area around there is intimidating, but I assured her that it's a great place to teach. Then, we drove through Mesta Park and looked at some of the historic homes. I recommended the home tour in December so she can get a rare peek inside.

Arriving at my house, I was shocked to see Chloe climb into Nathalie's lap for a brief spell. It gave me hope that she'll eventually adjust to my absence. After Chloe's short hello, Thisbe settled in and made fast friends. I'm not worried about Thisbe adjusting too much, since she seems to love everyone. After she comes out of hiding, that is. I imagine that I'm going to be the one who will have difficulty adjusting to life without my kitties. Nathalie's wonderful to offer to take care of them. I know they'll be happier in their own home.

Yesterday, we were invited to brunch at Susan & Bill Gouldy's house. Bill & Susan are retired teachers of French and Latin. Anne Chamberlain, French teacher at Piedmont HS, was also there. By the end of the meal, I was confident that they would help Nathalie in any way they could throughout the year. This proved to be true just a few hours later, when Anne & her husband Dave brought over a bicycle for Nath to use this year.

My friend Alison & I introduced her to Ted's last night, and despite an incident with an irate customer yelling at someone at the next table, resulting in the police being called out, dinner was great! (I promise I've never seen anything like that in my life, Nathalie, and you'll be guaranteed more peaceful dinners in the future...)

I made my last trip to Target today and introduced Nathalie to my favorite store. *sniff*sniff* How I'll miss that place!

Tonight we had dinner at my Mom's to celebrate my birthday, topped off with my favorite strawberry cake. The extended family was there - my godparents Paul and Theresa, step-brother Mike, his wife Lynette and their daughter Amber, and brother Chris & sister-in-law Aimee. It was a nice evening and the real beginning of the goodbyes...

No comments: