13 October 2007

auchan, you're no target

Oh, how I miss my Target. I didn't realize how much until today. This afternoon, I went to Auchan - a big hypermarché - to do my big shopping. Normally, I don't mind going to my little Champion on foot, but sometimes I want a bit more selection. I decided to take advantage of the R21 and see if I could find the Auchan south of Amiens. I missed my turn and had to go all the way into town to head back in the right direction, but I did manage to find it without getting lost.

I've never liked Auchan. I've been to several - the one at La Défense in Paris is where I have always done my shopping when I stay with Damien & Kathy. It's true they have more of a selection, but the store is always ALWAYS crowded. It reminds me of that Sam Walton nightmare back home. People think I'm joking when I say that it gives me anxiety attacks, but I really do not feel comfortable there. And today I realized that Auchan makes me feel the same way. France may refuse to let Wal-mart in - unlike England and Germany - but French shoppers can have the same experience.

The outing wasn't a complete failure, though. I was able to suppress my anxiety enough to stock up on some essential items, and I found a sweater and a stylish wool coat for a decent price. However, I think the next time I'm in the mood for visiting une grande surface, I'll give Carrefour a try. But deep down inside, I know I'll never find a replacement for my one and only Target.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please! Target can't hold a candle to the St Vincent de Paul thrift store.

Jennifer said...

Now, now, Michael. You must admit that Target is one of your favorite places as well...besides, you can't get a hot dog dinner at SVdP.

Anonymous said...

carrefour isn't unfortunately any better. courage!

Jennifer said...

Sigh. I was afraid of that. I think I'll stick to my little Champion for most things, and then build up my courage for bigger shopping days.