Moroseness and bitterness. These were the words used to describe the XV de France (quinze de France) on the news tonight. I'm not sure how many Americans are following the Rugby World Cup, but here in France, it has been a big deal for weeks. France lost to Argentina in the opening match, and then moved forward in the competition. (The students were very quick to point out that the American team lost their first match as well). A couple of weeks ago, the XV played New Zealand (remember the kangaroo & kiwi for lunch?) and I had to teach the phrase " be optimistic" because the students were convinced France would lose. To their surprise, France stomped the All Blacks and moved on to the semi-finals...against England. The mood in class yesterday was quite different from the preceding Monday. They were morose and bitter. Sébastian Chabal, their rugby hero, cried at the end of the match. I suspect some of the students did the same. And the worst is that the XV have to play Argentina again this weekend for 3rd place.But as you know, despite cheering on The Sooners from time to time, I don't really follow sports. The real subject of this entry is far more interesting: the chapel of Notre Dame du Rugby in Larrivière. Built in 1861 (with origins in the 11th Century) on the site of a former Roman oratory, the chapel was partially destroyed until Father Devert changed its destiny. In 1963, three young rugby players from nearby Dax were killed in a car accident. Inspired by a stained glass window in England honoring 7 players who perished in a plane crash, the young priest decided to create a place dedicated to prayer for rugby. The interior is
Click on the link below for a news clip about the chapel. I know it's in French, but you can see the fascinating interior.
No comments:
Post a Comment