I've finally gotten around to working on my wish list of things for my personal courier, aka Mom. My first official house guests, Mom and Mickey are coming for a visit in less than three weeks. Mom has joined me on school trips to Paris & the Loire Valley a couple of times, but Mickey hasn't seen France since he was a young Marine, and back then he only saw a bit of the south. I'm looking forward to showing them around Picardy, Normandy and hopefully a bit of Brittany before we move on to Paris, where Mom has a list of "must-sees" for Mickey. It's going to be a whirlwind tour!
I've asked my mom to go shopping for me - though she already has enough to do with packing and lesson planning. It's not that I can't find certain items here, but that they're just so much more expensive. Sometimes people at home tease me for being so careful with my finances, but saving here and there allows this teacher on a modest income to travel quite frequently. Besides, I almost had a heart attack when I had to pay nearly $5 for a small box of safety pins, another $5 for a pumice stone (can't have rough feet now, can we?) and yet another $5 for a nail buffer! Oh Dollar Tree, where are you when I need you the most? Since the dollar is at its weakest and gas is 1€30 a litre (see previous entry) I think it's wise to purchase things at home as long as someone's coming to visit. On top of the boots & sweaters I already packed in the suitcase I left at Mom's, my list includes multi-vitamins, saline solution (name brands are 2-3 times more expensive here), batteries, makeup, disposable razors, socks... all quite boring, really.
What I'd really love, dear friends, is Grey's Anatomy Season 3 on DVD, books on Oklahoma and other made-in-Oklahoma items to offer when I'm invited to dinner, postcards and prizes for my students...hint, hint. I may have to prevail upon my next house guest to deliver what won't fit...Hope there's room in your suitcase, Alison!
No comments:
Post a Comment