26 October 2007

the efficacy of tears

I've had my fair share of challenges this week. Without going into too much detail, I had some plumbing issues at the house. I did what I was supposed to - tried to contact the proper official who takes care of the property to get the problem solved. The only problem is, no one replied to my e-mail, my phone message or my personal visit. So this morning at school, I broke down in tears when Suzanne asked me ça va? Poor woman didn't know what she was getting into when she asked that question. I'd been complaining of my problem for several days, but not in front of the right people. I should have known to go straight to the secretaries. They're always the ones who get things done. Suzanne made me a tisane to calm me down. Colette and Patricia took charge, called the mayor's secretary, and said the problem must be resolved TODAY. And when I got home from work just before noon, the workmen were here. I couldn't believe it.

I am a bit embarrassed that I cried at school, but I guess it paid off. Patricia, who is headed south for vacation, offered me the keys to her apartment in case we couldn't get the plumbing fixed today. Colette told me to call her after lunch if the workers didn't show up. Everyone took such good care of me. I told the ladies at school that I thought it was a build-up of nearly three months of little frustrations, and this was la goutte qui fait déborder la vase. I explained that it's maddening that I know exactly what to say to get the situation resolved in English, but that I can't be my normal assertive self in another language. Thank goodness tears are part of the universal language.

On top of it all, I've caught the cold that's been going around among the teachers. After my breakdown, Patricia took me to the school nurse for a checkup. No fever, just a sore throat. I'm making myself a hot toddy like my daddy used to make me, and am heading to bed early tonight. What a way to start my vacation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jennifer, you brave soul! You were entitled to a good cry. How I admire your spirit and enjoy reading about your adventures. You are missed.

Peace,

Robin