In my 4ème class (equivalent of 8th grade), we've been working on physical descriptions. I have realized that the books are uninteresting to the students, so I'm constantly trying to think of more captivating activities. We've described rugbyman Sébastian Chabal and the football star Thierry Henry. We've described ourselves. We've described our friends. Then, this weekend while looking amongst the files that Nathalie left me, I found several activities centered around Harry Potter. I love Harry Potter. My American students love Harry Potter (except for Annie and Pearl who gave up on him a couple of books ago). Surely these French kids love him too. Thankfully, I was right. Today I read them 4 descriptions from the first book and they had to decide who I was describing based on 4 illustrations. I think it was the most some of them have paid attention in class all year. I hate to get ahead of myself, but I think I've really made progress with this bunch. Girls who used to despise me for reasons unknown now clamor to erase the board and pass out papers. I know that their professeur principal - a sort of liaison between teachers, students and parents who is in charge of a group of students all year - talked to them a few weeks ago about giving me a chance. It seems to have worked, at least with some of them. Now if I could only get the girls in 3ème (9th grade) to do the same.
The Harry Potter theme carries over to my life at home. I've got Hedwig and her family whoo-ing on the roof, Aragog's large hairy children popping out from time to time, and some sort of creature was under the sink this weekend. I was too afraid to open the cabinet and see what it was. I dreamed it was a hedgehog and when I opened the cabinet, it just moseyed out, looked up at me and walked out the door. If only it were that easy! At this point, I'd gladly welcome Kreacher into my home - I'm sure a house elf, no matter how hateful, would help rid the house of unwanted guests. And a magic wand sure would come in handy sometimes...
3 comments:
What is it with teenage girls? Seriously...
What is the word for exterminator in French and how soon can he come?
Mom
I'll take a plumber over an exterminator at the moment...
Post a Comment