If the letters and care packages you have sent me *cough* show up in your mailbox a few weeks later, here's why. Nathalie had a post office box. For reasons beyond me, individuals are no longer allowed to have one at La Poste in Poix, only businesses. The house where I live is managed by the syndicat scolaire, I'm assuming because it's on the grounds of what used to be a part of the middle school. Whoever is responsible told Nathalie that they would install a mailbox at the gate to the house. This was at least four months ago.
When I arrived in Poix, I stopped by the town hall to see about the mailbox (the mayor is on the syndicat scolaire) I was told that since it was vacation time (i.e. the entire month of August), I'd have to wait until September. I told the post office this, and they agreed to hold my mail for me. Until now.
Almost two weeks ago, when I went to pick up my mail, I encountered yet another post office employee to whom I had to explain the situation. This woman was the first who greeted me with a smile and knew exactly what I was talking about. She kindly told me that I really need to get a mailbox. Yes, I know this. It's not convenient for me either. As I was walking to school, I opened my mail and found a handwritten letter from the postmistress that said from now on, they're going to return my mail to sender. I nearly burst into tears. I was leaving for Paris for 5 days in just a few hours and didn't have time to take care of it. Laurence, who used to live in the house, advised me to return to the Post Office before they closed for lunch (12-2:30, fyi) and ask them to forward my mail to her house. She would then make an appointment for me at the town hall so I could meet with the mayor. Meanwhile, while I was making copies to prepare for my absence, M. Dournel from the financial office said, "You need to install a mailbox." I asked him if they'd called the school. No, he replied, he'd been at the post office when they were talking about it. Lovely.
I rushed back to La Poste after my classes and was able to speak with the author of the threatening letter. I explained (again!) the situation and she didn't seem nearly as mean as in her letter. She said it wouldn't be a problem for a few more weeks, but that I really needed a box. They had called the town hall, and now it was my turn to do something about it. So I've tried. Laurence went and they told her they'd take care of it. More than a week later, and still no mailbox. I went today, and the person I need to talk to wasn't there. I am going to try one more time tomorrow (I have to go back for my carte de séjour anyway) and after that, I think I may resort to buying a mailbox myself. It won't be installed properly, but at least I'll be able to receive my mail.
1 comment:
What a mess. I'm sorry lady! That's no fun. Will you email me Laurence's address just to be on the safe side?
Mikie
Post a Comment